Rise and Shine

Rise and Shine

Thursday, May 6, 2010

2. Give Back to Cal Poly

So I thought about it and figured the best way to give back to my alma mater Cal Poly was not to give it money (6 years of tuition was enough), but instead to share the knowledge I have gained working at Oakley for the past 7 years. I'm sure they would prefer money.
Cal Poly Industrial Engineering Lecturer Karen Bangs used to be my boss's boss at his old company. I volunteered to go back up to SLO and give a presentation about Demand Planning to her supply chain class since he wouldn't be able to go. You never have to twist my arm to go back to SLO for anything, and coupling this with the Wildflower race made it a no brainer. And it gave Lina and Audrey the chance to check out the biggest Forever 21 clothing store in the world!
So I developed a presentation but mostly winged it. I told them I had the public speaking skills of a 13 year old so they're expectations were low, then I blabbed about how being a demand planner is awesome because you are heavily involved in several levels of the business, and you have a lot of control over it's success by developing the proper supply. I think the students understood what I had to say, you never know though as there are always a few kids yawning and sleeping the whole time. I may have gotten a couple dudes interested in mountain biking too, but hopefully some of them want to go into demand planning after they graduate. I enjoyed being in front of the class and it just instills the desire to become a teacher that much more. All in due time I guess. It was also pretty cool to cruise around the school like in the old days, but some of the students look so young. I get older and they stay the same age man.
In addition I got go for an awesome MTB ride with my bro-in-law Robby. He lives in Paso with Lina's sister Tina and their 2 daughters Presley and Piper. We rode this wonderful trail called Morning Glory, that drops from the radio towers on top of Cuesta Grade at about 2500 ft. down at least 1000-1500 feet to the top of Poly Canyon. The trail is the closest thing to a dirt and rock rollercoaster as you can get, with bermed turns, small jumps, and mini rock drops that you can ride 50 mph through. One of the funnest trails in the state if you ask me. Also, you can see the great views from the trails out there, with SLO in the distance behind me. Freaking awesome, and 95% of the people in SLO don't even know these trails are here, I know I didn't while I lived there.

3 comments:

  1. You'd be a good teacher. I didnt even know that was on your radar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I actually only come to the sites for the weather updates. Still 69 degrees in New York I see... sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. please tell me you grubbed at Firestone!

    ReplyDelete