Rise and Shine

Rise and Shine

Friday, March 15, 2013

This week in SUP

I haven't been keeping up on my surf sessions, but I haven't had any memorable sessions lately.  A couple OK days before my trip to Milan, and one this Tuesday.  A couple fun turns were had, but nothing to write home about.
However this week was pretty awesome, the calm before the spring break storm and then the summer where Doheny turns into a swarming ant colony of sponge top long boarders.  I plan to avoid this place like the plague so I need to get my SUP surf on while I can.  This week had 3 days in a row of tiny south swell pitching 1-2 ft. waves at the south end of Doheny, right in front of the jetty and river mouth.  Wednesday was a solo sesh on the Laird, perfect one footers and clear skies.  Got my paddle drag and cross step working, felt great.  Dense fog rolled in at 7:30 so I bailed to get home and spend the day with the kids at Disneyland.  Thursday was foggy from the start, a touch bigger, and empty again.  I brought the 9'1 Caddi and hated it, its tough to keep balance and doesn't work well on micro 1 footers.  Might need to sell it this summer.  Today was the biggest day, and the busiest.  Paddled out at 6:45 to a 7 pack family standing on the beach.  They all stayednorth and I got my waves in front of the jetty.  One other dude paddled out next to me and didn't follow etiquette too well, but we both caught waves and there were plenty for just us two.  Took out the Laird but had some issues with the cross step on bigger waves that were closing out at the end.  Gotta work on it before summer hits!

No comments:

Post a Comment