Rise and Shine

Rise and Shine

Sunday, November 25, 2012

SUP surfing

I've been wanting to try this for a while. Saturday's conditions were ideal, warm weather for November (85 at my house), a decent sized southswell lingering on its third day, and light NW winds that would be protected at Doheny. Lina let me slip away at about 3:30, I wore my short sleeve full which was perfect, and there were a quite a few beginners out surfing and several SUPers catching lots of knee high waves. Turning the boards while standing up is impossible, and I sucked donkey balls. I couldn't figure out how to turn the board fast enough to catch waves, so I had to lay down and paddle in to them, then pop up and surf them. The 12'1 actually handled well once i was in the waves, and I could run up and down and turn it pretty easily. I really really liked it, but was struggling with the getting the board in position and paddling into the wave. I need to spend more time out there on some one footers. Super close to home, I'm all about it.  Check out the old pic of killer dana before the harbor was built.



No comments:

Post a Comment